A Letter From A Senior

David Stein, Author

Dear students,

As we continue to progress throughout this school year, I want to give advice to the younger students at Tewksbury Memorial High School. I have seen the best of what high school can be and have witness how awful high school can be sometimes. I have always wanted to help students get through high school, and I have some advice that might help someone out there.

Don’t be afraid to meet different kinds of people

In high school, people are too quick to judge. We associate ourselves too much with specific groups and make no efforts to try to interact with different groups. Don’t enclose yourself with people who are just like you. In college, you will meet several different kinds of people from all over, start learning how to interact with different groups of people now so in college it will be much easier to interact and make new friends.

Don’t stress about applying to colleges

I get the idea of college can be stressful and nervous, but the whole application process is honestly not as bad as it sounds. Just remember you have worked so hard throughout your entire high school career. If you do what you are suppose to do and you stay on top of college deadlines, the application process is quite simple.

Try different clubs and classes @ TMHS

Joining clubs in high school not only can be enjoyable, but also looks good on college applications. Joining clubs can help you discover new interests and also allow you to meet people with similar interests as yourself. When it comes to picking classes each year, don’t be afraid to take some new classes. If you only take classes to what you believe you want to study, you’ll miss out. You’d be surprised to see what classes you end up taking and remembering as some of your favorites.

Don’t rush through high school, enjoy it

High school goes by so fast, we sometimes worry too much about the end result rather than the journey. As a senior, it’s very easy to just want high school to be over and be ready to go onto college. But high school takes up 4 years of your life, so enjoy all the moments you have. Be happy for the people you meet, the select teachers who you wish you could have again, and the moments you won’t forget.

Enjoy the little things

You got a 100 on that math test? Finally got put into the starting lineup? Got accepted into your first college? There are so many moments in high school where we experience joy. Don’t take those moments for granted. Be proud of yourself for your personal accomplishments and be happy for others around you as well. It’s the little things that end up making the biggest difference.