How to Choose Your 2017-2018 Classes

This is a caption.

Matt Fronduto, Author

The new schedule at Tewksbury Memorial High School has certainly ruffled a few feathers, to say the least, and the newest twist might not be met too warmly either. The process of picking one’s classes for the next year has never been an especially easy task, and can sometimes seem daunting, and unfortunately this year is not exactly an exception. Though the process is similar to past years, there are some minor changes, including the challenge of having to pick classes for a seven block schedule, while simultaneously ensuring that the workload will not be either overbearing or underwhelming.

In terms of the process itself, teachers and counselors provided students with a guideline that is extremely helpful when navigating Aspen, but even if you didn’t receive a guideline, it is still quite easy. Since your core courses are already recommended for you, simply follow the steps below to pick your electives:.

1. After entering Aspen, click the “my info” tab
  2. Then click “requests” in the bottom left hand corner
  3. Pick classes that, when added together, total 10 credits

With regards to the choices themselves, there are ample resources to assist the students with particularly difficult choices, including guidance counselors, teachers, parents, and of course one’s own personal interests. When faced with a choice, the best thing to do is to quite simply evaluate personal interest and past performance. If a student received primarily Cs or Ds in an honors class this past year, it might be more appropriate to not continue at that level, while on the contrary, if somebody is a perennial A student in a CP class, it may be time to move up a notch on the ladder, so to speak.

Ultimately the choice is the student’s. Even if people find themselves recommended for courses that they have no interest in taking, they can always ask the guidance office to help assist them, though they will need the consent of the teacher.