The New-Look Celtics

The New-Look Celtics

Brennan Rodgers, Sports Correspondent

After a season of just making it to the conference finals and losing in five games, Danny Ainge and the Celtics knew some crucial moves had to be made in the offseason. The summer started off with the Celtics acquiring the number one pick in the draft due to having the Brooklyn Nets pick. The talks started as the Celtics “definitely” getting Washington freshman Markelle Fultz (avg: 23.2 ppg, 5.9 apg). The talks then transitioned into the Celtics trading the number one pick. Danny Ainge agreed to trade that number one pick, not for a guaranteed superstar, but for a lower pick. The Celtics traded the pick to the Philadelphia 76ers in return for the third pick and 2018 Lakers 2-5 pick. On draft night, the Boston Celtics decided to go with Duke’s explosive forward Jayson Tatum (avg: 16.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.1 apg). The Celtics were in need of a forward this offseason, so that’s what they got themselves.

This offseason for the NBA was one to remember with all of the big trades and free agency signings. The Celtics happened to be one of many teams with big changes. Adding two superstars to the team  will definitely have a factor on how far they make it this year. Early into the summer, the Celtics had traded one of the best defensive hustling players on the team, Avery Bradley. The Celtics traded Bradley to the Detroit Pistons for forward Marcus Morris who will be a big asset on the team for rebounds and a decent forward position to go along with Al Horford. As the offseason went on, big rumors spread about Gordon Hayward joining another team. Visiting Miami and Boston to see where his talent would fit best. On July 4th Gordon Hayward shipped his sails from Utah and announced that he would be joining the Boston Celtics (4 yr. $128M). All the hype about Isaiah Thomas playing with Gordon Hayward grew among the Boston fans as well as Hayward reuniting with his college coach, Brad Stevens.

In late August, rumors spread about Kyrie Irving joining the Celtics. Boston fans went both ways on this, considering the Celtics would give up all star Isaiah Thomas, who has been a reliable player for two years. The Celtics traded Thomas, Ante Zizic, Jae Crowder and their 2018 first round pick, in return for Kyrie Irving. Kyrie, being the first pick in the 2011 draft and one time NBA champion, would be a huge asset for the team. Hoping Irving and Hayward will work well together would result in a great season for the franchise. Irving, playing under one of the greatest in the game, Lebron James, still knew how to stuff the stat sheet (2016 avg: 25.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 5.8 apg, 1.2 spg). After the rumors of Irving telling the Cavs front office he wanted to be traded, the Celtics weren’t even an option. Adding more and more young talent to this team will work out well in the long run.

With only four remaining players from last season, the team is definitely looking different with a basically brand new starting line up. Marcus Smart will no doubt run the team with his great defensive hustle also being the longest lasting Celtic since he was drafted by the team in 2014. Terry Rozier, Al Horford and Jaylen Brown are the other three remaining. They all have brought a tremendous effort to the team. Al Horford and Jaylen Brown will start next season along with Irving, Hayward and Morris, all new assets. ESPN projects the Celtics being second in title odds, only behind the Golden State Warriors. This team has come a long way, from fighting for that 8th seed playoff spot to one of the top teams in the league who have a serious shot at winning it all. Danny Ainge has been making big moves for this franchise and may go down as one of the greatest general managers in Celtics history, rebuilding the team in such a short amount of time. And because of him, the team is where it was destined to be, at the top.