Nick Walsh Looks at Technology in the School

Nick Walsh, Technology Writer

With the opening of the new Tewksbury Memorial High School a few years ago, the Internet and computers immediately became a nuisance to the students of all grades. The school installed a very weak internet connection, which constantly loses connection, forcing students to use up all of their cellular data. The computers we have seem like cheap, portable little HP towers, with the same old monitors that we have had at all of the other schools. If the school system agreed to save money by cutting back on upgrading school technology, they picked the wrong area to hold on. The computers are constantly breaking and running slow, causing us to have to use the laptop carts. The laptops in the laptop carts also slowed down, and eventually literally stopped working, causing the school to purchase new Chromebook carts. These computers are pretty nice, but I am intrigued to see how long they last. Two months? Four months? At the rate we are wasting money on faulty technology, I wouldn’t give it six months before all of our technology is broken and has to be completely fixed again. The school needs to realize that they need to spend more money to fix the problem, to eventually save money months down the line, when everything would have broke if they didn’t do anything. Tewksbury Public Schools needs to fix this problem, and fast.