TMHS Swimming: A Whole New Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

TMHS Swimming: A Whole New Season

Lauren Countie, Sports Correspondent

It’s another new season for the Red Rangers with six athletes from Tewksbury and 40 athletes from Methuen. Captains this year are junior Kyra Donahue, Methuen, and senior Emma White, Tewksbury. There is a total of 14 meets in the season including the meets with just diving. They also compete in MVCs around the end of the season and if you qualify in any sectionals or states times, you get to compete in that event at either championship, representing the Tewksbury/Methuen team.

On September 11, the first meet of the season at the Greater Lawrence Technical School in Andover against Chelmsford, who won the meet with a score of 100-82. For Tewksbury members, Emma White, senior, finished sixth place in the 200 and 500 freestyle and finished fifth place in the 200 freestyle relay and sixth place in the 400 freestyle relay. Callie Legvold, junior, came in fourth place in the 200 freestyle and sixth in the 100 freestyle and came in fourth place in the 200 freestyle relay and fifth place 400 freestyle relay. Lastly, Lauren Countie, junior, came in sixth place in the 50 freestyle and was part of the fourth place 200 medley relay.

On September 18, the second meet of the season at, yet again, the Greater Lawrence Technical School in Andover, against Andover, who has been an undefeated team in its regular season and also state championship winners for about 20 years in a row. The Red Rangers got defeated with a score of 97-81.

“I want the team to leave it all in the pool at every meet and leave with no regrets.” said captain Kyra Donahue. “My goal as a captain is to make everyone feel like their apart of a family and make this team a one of a kind team”

With only two meets in the season and two defeats, everyone’s positive attitude in practicing, getting prepared for meets and cheering on their fellow teammates as they race, has helped keep the members of this team confident. Not only in their own abilities, but in the team as a whole. Go Rangers!