“Anthem of Peaceful Army” Album Review

Maddie Gallant

Up and coming rock band Greta Van Fleet (GVF) released their debut album on October 19 of this year, and so far it has gotten many varying reviews from praising to scathing.

Greta Van Fleet is a rock band comprised of four members. The lead singer Josh, the guitarist Jake, and the bassist Sam are all brothers, sharing the last name Kiszka. Daniel Wagner is their close friend, as well as a drummer for the band. Originally when the group was formed in 2012 it was composed of the Kiszka brothers and an ex-member named Kyle Hauck. When Hauck had left in 2013, Wagner took his place. Since then Greta have made a name for themselves in the world of music, even making it so far to perform on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, and have a chance to perform with sir Elton John as well as open for the legendary band Guns N’ Roses in the Germany/Denmark leg of their tour.

Anthem of the Peaceful Army was a long-awaited release. Many fans of the band have already given it rave reviews – with currently 581 reviews on iTunes, it has received a rating of four out of five stars. It also shares the same rating of four out of five stars on amazon, with 84 customer reviews.

Not everybody was a supporter however. Many criticize the band for their old fashioned sound, saying they are simply copying artists that came before. One music journalism blog, Pitchfork.com, took to the web to absolutely obliterate the album. They gave it a whopping 1.6 out of 10 stars – saying they sounded “like they did weed exactly once, called the cops, and tried to record a Led Zeppelin album before they arrested themselves.” As much as it pains me to see such hard working people mercilessly bashed, it was quite the comical read. Many GVF fans took to the media to defend the boys, arguing that Pitchfork is being too harsh, and did not give the album a fair chance

The first single released from the album with a song called When the Curtain Falls. Wanting to give the album an unbiased review, I asked people who have never heard of Greta Van Fleet to listen to the song and give me their honest opinion. TMHS student Sarah Boudreau was a fan of the instrumental, saying “the words were a little hard to make out what they were saying, but the instrumental part made up for it, and overall I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it and I would listen to it again.” Later that day I played the song for Sarah Mcquaid’s dad, Mr. Mcquaid, to which he said “sounds like a ripoff of Led Zeppelin, but the guy does have a hell of a voice.”

Personally, I loved the album. As a Greta fan myself, I am admittedly biased, but I found the album to be quite enjoyable to listen to. My favorite tracks are Cold Wind, Brave New World, and the title track Anthem of the Peaceful Army. From the energetic opening track to the soothing final track, if you’re a fan of rock and roll, I guarantee you will be hooked on every song this album presents. I give it a 4.7 out of 5 stars.