Christmas Controversies

Many different controversies are emerging because of cultural evolution within the U.S. and the world.

Sarah McQuaid

The end of the year is a stressful time as the holidays come one after another in waves until the new year. Even though the month of December can be overwhelming, the holiday season is also a well-deserved sigh of relief. There really is something to the Christmas spirit that makes the general mood more merry than usual. It is hard not to smile as you watch kids jump with excitement at the thought of presents as they leave milk and cookies out for Santa Claus. Christmas time creates a special feeling of kindness in the air that really develops an unity for everyone as they head out to the stores for gift shopping. The traditions that come with Christmas reach people all across the world.

There are some Christmas traditions however, that have unfortunately been challenged in recent years. The saying of “Merry Christmas” has been frowned upon; people were determined to boycott Starbucks after they took to saying Happy Holidays on their decorative seasonal cups. The issue is that Christmas has become too much of a commercial holiday, people are becoming the long disliked antagonists of holiday films that they have for so long scorned. Bah, Humbug!

Rudolf The Red-Nosed Reindeer is a long time classic shown in households that have recently been put on the hot seat for its “problematic” plot. In a recent Twitter upload, HuffPost gained its video over five million views with the caption “The holiday TV classic “Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer” is seriously problematic”. The upload is unsure to have been serious or satire.

There is no denying that Rudolf faces unfortunate events before his inevitable success at the end of the tale. Rudolf is for sure no stranger to bullying, but that is not to say that by the end of the movie, our small friend overcomes this issue for the better. In a ​video sent to TMZ​, Corinne Conley, the voice of “Dolly for Sue” who lived on the “Island of Misfit Toys,” said the film is more relevant now than ever given the increase in bullying incidents of late. But it’s important to note, she said, that the bullying is “reconciled” in “Rudolph,” teaching viewers a lesson at the end of the story.

This moral at the end is what makes “Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer” such a wholesome and popular movie. Any drama that the characters endure is resolved and the audience can draw an important lesson from it. The story of our dear deer friend Rudolf is just what some people need to view around the holiday season, and it would be wrong to prevent people from viewing.