TMHS Annual Spring Culture Fair

Students present exemplary understanding of cultural events.

Back to Article
Back to Article

TMHS Annual Spring Culture Fair

Kerry Shea

TEWKSBURY MEMORIAL HIGH SCHOOL –   Each year foreign language students are asked to create unique and informative projects portraying a specific cultural topic or event. Their selected topic pertains to the culture of the people who speak the language they are enrolled in. They are asked to creative visual representations of their event. Many projects incorporate interactive pieces that appeal to those who attend the fair and walk through the rows of colorful presentations. The Culture Fair is set this year for March 19th.

The fair occurs in the school’s cafeteria. Projects line a majority of the tables stationed throughout the cafeteria. Typically, the displays continue into a portion of the school’s first floor hallway and lead into a multi purpose room. Projects are organized by language: Spanish projects, for the most part, are set up in the cafeteria, and Latin projects can be found in the multipurpose room (also known as LGI-1). There is often artwork found outside LGI, mainly of Spanish origin.

It is required by those enrolled in a foreign language that is level 3 or higher to attend the fair. They receive grades based on two components: their visual presentations, and their oral presentation, which they are required to make in front of their class. Students are also asked several questions by their teachers at the actual fair. Their responses are factored into their overall score as well.

Types of projects vary greatly throughout the fair. Some students choose a food or dish to research and recreate, while others choose an event to display through pictures and written explanations. A chosen event is typically historically relevant to the people of its particular culture. Students explain their topic as well as its significance to the people of its region. Some topics that Spanish students have covered in years past are ​Flamenco​, ​Dia de Los Muertos ​(Day of the Dead), and ​Tomatina.

The event is organized and conducted by the foreign language department. The languages represented at the fair are Spanish, Latin, and French. The culture fair is a chance for students to show off not only their command of the language they are enrolled in, but their cultural and intellectual understanding of other regions’ traditions. The fair is open to anyone who wishes to learn more about cultural differences (and similarities). The TMHS culture fair is a great way to learn more about other regions of the world and even gain a taste (literally!) of what life is like outside of the US! Come join us this year on March 19th for a cultural experience you won’t forget!