Climate Vs. Weather

Understanding that global warming is still an issue

Back to Article
Back to Article

Climate Vs. Weather

Emma Fleming

With the treacherous weather conditions happening right now, it is crucial to understand the difference between weather and climate. Weather is the state of the atmosphere at a current point and time, such as, if it is raining, snowing, sunny, etc. while climate is the weather conditions in a general area over a long period of time, like, seasons, tropic zones, temperate zones, etc. For example, the weather is like a single test while the climate is a final exam.

Last week, Chicago temperatures dropped to Arctic levels (-60 degrees) and although that is the complete opposite of warm, it does not mean global warming has stopped being an issue. Global warming is the gradual increase in the overall temperature of the earth’s atmosphere. Even on days colder than usual, the world as a whole is warmer.

Along with last weeks weather, our president Donald Trump had some views to talk, or tweet, about. He stated, “In the beautiful Midwest, windchill temperatures are reaching minus 60 degrees, the coldest ever recorded. In coming days, expected to get even colder. People can’t last outside for even minutes. What the hell is going on with Global Warming? Please come back fast, we need you!” Contrary to Pres. Trump’s tweet, global warming is still here and we don’t need it. Global warming drastically alters the earth’s climate system, including land, atmosphere, oceans, and ice. A warmer climate creates an atmosphere that can collect, retain, and drop more water, changing weather patterns and creating more, worst disasters, like storms, floods, heatwaves, and droughts. It also worsens air pollution, causes an increase in forest fires which can cause an increase in extinct species, and rises in sea levels, threatening homes along the coast.

97% of scientists believe climate change is real. When asked, a majority of skeptics said they don’t believe because they had not noticed a change in the weather. Knowledge plays an important role in debates and conflicts between people because weather and climate are not the same. It is important to know all the details on topics you have a strong opinion about.

The national oceanic and atmospheric administration (NOAA) sums the difference up perfectly, “Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get.”