EEE Takes Storm In Massachusetts

Jack O'Neill

Taking the lives of at least 3 unsuspecting people, the killer mosquito disease Eastern Equine Encephalitis, is terrorizing everybody in the area of New England. Also known as EEE, it is one of the more dangerous mosquito diseases in the US. Flu-like symptoms will normally occur 4 to 10 days after being infected, and a third of all infected people will die from the disease. Many who are able to recover do not enjoy their life after, as it leaves them with brain damage ranging from very little to severe dysfunction. Not a single person who is infected is able to live their life normally again.

EEE first originated in Massachusetts when all of a sudden 75 horses passed away from the virus in 1831. It runs on the east side of the United States and is pretty consistent around the lower states like Florida. The first ever human case of it in Massachusetts was in 1938, and less than 100 people have been recorded with the disease since then. This year, a male in Plymouth was the first to be diagnosed on August 10th, starting this year’s cycle of the deadly disease.

Tewksbury Memorial High School, or TMHS, is taking steps to avoid a student or faculty member being diagnosed themselves. The sports games, for instance, have had many of their times rescheduled for earlier on in the day. The football game was originally scheduled for 7 PM last week, but the schools decided to move it up to 6 PM. According to the Tewksbury Public Schools website, all of the school properties will be sprayed to reduce the mosquito population on Thursday, September 19th. Tewksbury, along with many other towns and cities across New England, are doing their best to avoid EEE.

The citizens of Massachusetts have been terrorized by the recent outbreak. 8 people across the state have been confirmed having the disease, making it a possibility that anybody could be next. Riley Auth, a student at TMHS, said, “I can’t go outside late at night. I’m too afraid of catching it.” Parents are going nuts thinking about how it could be their kid next, causing even the younger generation to be mindful of every mosquito they see. Another student from TMHS, Ryan Hunt, said, “I’m glad they’re spraying down the schools. I ain’t trying to have that.” There is not a person in the region who does not keep it in the back of their mind.

EEE sends the whole state into a panic every time it comes around. Without correct precautions taken, many innocent people will have their lives ruined from getting infected.