Active Shooter Disarmed. And Then Hugged?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chris Antonelli

On May 17, in Portland, Oregon an active shooter was present in Parkrose High School. Earlier on in that day, a student reported to the school that Angel Grandos-Diaz was making suicidal threats. As a result, the school security guard Keanon Lowe was sent to get Angel and bring him to the office. After searching the school, Lowe was finally able to locate Angel, however he was in shock when he found him. Angel Grandos-Diaz was in the bathroom by himself with a shotgun pointed towards his own head.

Instantly, quick thinking prompted Keanon Lowe to grab the gun from the student without even thinking about the danger of his own life. Mr. Lowe then exited the bathroom with the now disarmed Angel. Lowe gave the gun to another adult. And then Lowe embraced the student. Lowe said that he could tell in his eyes that he needed help and was just lost in life at the moment. During this event, not one person was hurt, which nowadays is unheard of in most active shooter situations.

The gun that Angel Grandos-Diaz brought into school that day was a shotgun and only had one bullet in it. After the police did a little more investigating, they were able to uncover that Angel was not intending to hurt any others. He was just going to end his life that day until Mr. Lowe changed his life forever. Lowe said during their hug they had a brief conversation. Lowe basically told him he has a life to live for and he is going to be alright. Hopefully, that conversation will stay with Angel for the rest of his life just in case he gets those suicidal thoughts again.

Compared to other active shooter situations this one is totally different. Angel was not intending to hurt anyone else, which is the main reason why he is currently not during jail time. Angel was sentenced to 36 months of probation and an additional 64 hours of community service that needs to be completed in under a year. Most other active shooters are doing life sentences or close to it. Angel’s sentence gives him time to rethink and change his life for the better.

Keanon Lowe was interviewed after disarming Angel. He mostly was asked by reporters, how did you know what to do. To answer that question, he basically said all the training he went through as a security guard and the drills that they had specifically for situations like this. Mr. Lowe said in the interview, “​I ​think I’ve gone through stuff in my life that prepared me for that moment and I’m lucky and I’m happy that I was in that classroom for those kids and I was able to prevent that tragedy.” Luckily Lowe was able to be in this situation to save Angel’s life and possibly change it for the better.