How Can TMHS Provide a Better Environment for LGBTQ+ Students?

Alex Cashell

In recent months, there has been an increased demand for accommodations for LGBTQ+ students in Tewksbury Memorial High School. This is no surprise as, according to Gallup, “Americans’ Self-Identification as LGBT, by Generation”, about 15.9% of Gen Z identifies as LGBTQ+. Due to an increase of queer students, there are more needs to be met. To get an understanding of what students experienced as TMHS and what they would like to see in the future, I interviewed to queer students: one closeted student and one student who is openly queer.

First, I interviewed co-president of GSA, Milo Bobotas:

Do you think TMHS provides a comfortable and safe environment for LGBTQ+ students? Why or why not?

“Their attempts are there, but I don’t think they succeed because I’m nearly a senior, and I know seniors who experience little changes in treatment throughout their four years of high school. It’s not as bad as it could be…”

What do you hope to see in the future of TMHS LGBTQ+ Awareness? Are there any specific changes you would like to see? 

“I hope to see more reprimand and discipline when it comes to that (discrimination). There should be across the board “no tolerance for hate” policy in this school, and students should be mindful of what they say. When they say or do the wrong thing, they should be educated… Action needs to be taken not to just ‘provide resources to LGBTQ kids’, while that’s important, but to provide education for hateful people.”

Have you been working on anything to help with LGBTQ+ students in school? If so, what?

“I am co-president of the GSA and every week work to find ways to make this school a safe and comfortable place. We talk about the root of some of these societal issues, and how to cope with it. We offer a small sense of community.”

Have you faced or seen any discrimination due to your or someone else’s identity? If you are comfortable, you can share an example.

“Absolutely, I’ve been called out and mocked in the hallways in the past for holding hands with another man. I’ve been called terrible names by students out their cars while walking home. I’ve had my name mockingly called out by peers, my age and older.”

Is there anything you would like to say to queer students in our school?

“It most definitely gets better after high school. However, that doesn’t mean we can’t make high school as good as it can be…”

Next I interviewed a closeted student. They preferred to stay anonymous:

“No, I often see LGBTQ+ students treated with far less respect and even hatred inside of school, and outside of school it can get worse. There is also usually no punishment or barely any punishment for this harassment.”

What do you hope to see in the future of TMHS LGBTQ+ Awareness?Are there any specific changes you would like to see?  

“I hope to see classes incorporate more LGBTQ+ history as part of lessons and other relevant education such as LGBTQ+ sex education. I think learning about important LGBTQ+ events such as Stonewall would be a good step, considering i have never heard of a lot of relevant LGBTQ+ historical moments and important figures until I found out about them online and after my own research”

Have you faced or seen any discrimination due to your or someone elses’s idenitity? If you are comfortable, you can share an example.

“I am not out yet so I haven’t really been directly discriminated against, but I don’t feel as though a lot of my family or peers would be accepting if I ever did come out.”

In order to gauge how school staff is handling this issue, I contacted guidance counselor Kennan Daniel, better known as Ms. Daniel, with the following questions:

“I would like to see more students get involved. We have a really great GSA and lots of faculty who want to empower students to take action but not a lot of students who show up. I’m curious why that is. For example, I invited 6 students to come with me to speak to the administration about issues important to LGBTQ students and only two showed up. I would like to hear more voices from this part of the population. I understand why people who identify as LGBTQ may not want to speak up, but it’s empowering, and the faculty at TMHS support them wholeheartedly.”

“I was also involved with the Equity Conference TMHS hosted in 2020. We invited students from surrounding schools to come join us in discussions about inequity, and naturally issues that LGBTQ students face came up. The students who were involved in that conference did an amazing job of creating an environment where students could be themselves and speak freely. As one of the adult participants, it was great to listen and not lead. I learned a lot.”

“Be yourself and love yourself. Loving yourself is a shield against other people’s ignorance. And from my favorite poem, Desiderata, I say, ‘You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be [here]. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. … And whatever your aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.’”

According to queer students in school, they are generally uncomfortable with the TMHS environment. They would like the curriculum to be more inclusive of LGBTQ+ history, figures, and health. They believe there is a need to unteach hate in our community. Staff are taking this issue very seriously and need more input from queer students. If you have any suggestions or ideas, I encourage you to share them with other staff and students.