Is Having Kids Take Gym or Play A Sport A Long-Term Solution To A Healthy Life?

David Stein, Author

Starting next year, students will be required to take a gym class for a semester or play a sport for one full season. The ultimate goal is to encourage a healthier, more active lifestyle in all students. But will this be a solution for all students?

Coach at TMHS:  “There are lots of different benefits in having a healthy lifestyle. We are not as active as we used to be, so doing it in school is trying to help with activity. But there is a true academic component to this. The more active you are the better your brain is. Easier it is to learn and apply knowledge. It helps the brain and body. It could affect coaching. Coaches might have kids with lower expectations. Gym teachers might see rise in lack of kids who have high expectations. Could be a challenge for class or team dynamic.”

Gym Teacher at TMHS: It is a good long-term solution. With the new electives students will be able to take activities that are of interest to them. Hopefully that will help them. My hope is that with those students that they haven’t found an activity of interest for them. We are offering new electives, lifetime sports, team sports, movement fitness, and a fitness class. The idea is that people can learn to use the weight room and DVD videos. In the future is hopefully providing new activities that people will find something of interest in them. As an adult they have their own decisions. But hopefully through the classes they take.

My Recommendation: At first, the idea appeared to be useless and no one would truly benefit from having to play a sport or take a gym class. However, now things are different. Kids being able to take a variety of gym class and a variety of sports can help kids discover different kinds of exercise. By discovering new and creative exercises, kids can become more engaged in physical activity and now students will be able to carry this information with them into college and beyond, offering a long-term solution to this problem. Will it work for everyone? No, but it will help a large majority of students who are looking to improve themselves physically.